Growing up in South Africa I never really knew about the dish, favoured by so many Americans, called Chili Con Carne. I used to think I was just making a savoury ground beef dish instead of traditional bolognaise, which meant I came out with some sort of hybrid of the two.
But now I know, the beauty, and deliciousness that goes into a cosy and warming (sometimes too warming if you drop an extra tablespoon of chili powder in
on purpose by accident) bowl of chili. You can make chili with a variety of different proteins, white beans included, but I prefer ground turkey or beef.
Finding ground turkey in France (dinde hachée, which I pronounce dEEEnd instead of duhnd when asking a very perplexed young gentleman in our local Carrefour supermarket) is like finding the fountain of youth; when you find it you buy all their stock and freeze it.
So today’s recipe is made using lean beef, which is equally delicious.
Healthy Beef Chili
A tasty, wholesome and healthier version of the favourite chili con carne.
- 350g lean ground beef
- 1 400g tin tomatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup green beans, chopped
- 150g red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 120g sweetcorn
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1tbsp tomato paste
- 250ml beef or vegetable stock, low salt (I used homemade vegetable stock)
- 1-2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/2-1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2-1 tbsp turmeric (just because it’s so good for you)
- Pinch salt
- Black pepper
- Heat olive oil on medium heat, add onions. Sauté for 3 min
- Add garlic, green beans, red peppers and tomato paste, Sauté until onions are translucent
- Add beef and cook until no longer pink
- Add spices
- Add tomatoes, kidney beans, sweet corn and stock
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer
- Simmer for 45 minutes or until water has reduced and sauce is nice and thick.
- Serve with greek yoghurt with a squirt of lime juice, a tiny bit of strong cheddar, avocado and corn chips to scoop up the chili. (Optional)
Aproximate Calories without toppings: 285; With toppings: 479.
Protein 26.1g : Carbs 23.5g : Fat 7.3g (per serving)